This year, I became a Luke Leader for Public Service. I am so glad I choose to be a Luke Leader this year because they have opened me up to so many more community service opportunities that I probably would never have heard of. Each cycle, I work a shift at the Luke Center and I help with the various service projects that we happen to be working on at that time. We just finished the Book Drive and collected so many books that the entire Luke Center is filled. I've done volunteer work for the B.E.A.C.H. organization and made blankets for the homeless. One of the upcoming service opportunities that I am most excited about is the Kokua Festival. I've never really paid much mind to the Kokua Festival until this year. My friend was a volunteer last year and had a really good time, so she suggested that I do it this year. I was lucky because only a limited amount of people get to do this. I had no idea that the Kokua Festival was such a popular event--the tickets this year were sold out in 20 minutes. As Luke Leaders, we basically have to inform people at the festival why recycling and keeping our environment clean is such an important thing to think about. We are so lucky to get to go to the entire festival for free (tickets can go up to $125!!!!). This year artists such as, Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews Band, Go Jimmy Go, and more will be performing. Although the festival is still pretty far away I am looking forward to it more and more.
Thursday, March 6, 2008
Kokua Festival 2008
This year, I became a Luke Leader for Public Service. I am so glad I choose to be a Luke Leader this year because they have opened me up to so many more community service opportunities that I probably would never have heard of. Each cycle, I work a shift at the Luke Center and I help with the various service projects that we happen to be working on at that time. We just finished the Book Drive and collected so many books that the entire Luke Center is filled. I've done volunteer work for the B.E.A.C.H. organization and made blankets for the homeless. One of the upcoming service opportunities that I am most excited about is the Kokua Festival. I've never really paid much mind to the Kokua Festival until this year. My friend was a volunteer last year and had a really good time, so she suggested that I do it this year. I was lucky because only a limited amount of people get to do this. I had no idea that the Kokua Festival was such a popular event--the tickets this year were sold out in 20 minutes. As Luke Leaders, we basically have to inform people at the festival why recycling and keeping our environment clean is such an important thing to think about. We are so lucky to get to go to the entire festival for free (tickets can go up to $125!!!!). This year artists such as, Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews Band, Go Jimmy Go, and more will be performing. Although the festival is still pretty far away I am looking forward to it more and more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment