Wednesday, March 19, 2008

World of Rachels

The activity we did in class today where we had to pretend we were one of the characters in Poisonwood Bible, made me realize how similar I actually am to the character I was portraying.  Although I don't think I'm completely like Rachel, I think I have the most similarities to her than any of the other characters in the book.  We have come to think of Rachel as the spoiled, self-centered drama queen.  Although I don't think I am like this, I think Rachel is like a lot of the common teenage girls in our society today.  Actually not just teenage girls, but everyone in some way.  People in our society care about materialistic things and appearance.  We all judge people based on how they may look or talk, and that is what Rachel often does.  We use modern "lingo" and make up words and expressions, just like Rachel.  Even though some people may not like to admit they are like this at all, everyone is in one way or another.  It is just the way our world is, and rachel represents it perfectly. 

1 comment:

Ms. Davis said...

This is a neat reflection on the in-class activity. Do you think everyone your age is really like Rachael or just in your group of friends? Would you have responded the way Rachael did to the Congo or more like another character?